Certificate of Achievement in Human Services (Social Work)
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Human Services (Social Work). Students completing this certificate will acquire skills in critical thinking, case planning, crisis intervention, theory-based assessment, working knowledge of community resources and hands-on work experience in a human services agency in the community.
- Assessment: Using a case vignette in each course the student will analyze the case and identify problem areas.
- Legal and ethical: The student will use a case vignette in each course to identify any legal and ethical issues that might arise while providing services to the case.
- Treatment planning: The student will use a case vignette in each course to assess the area in need of intervention and will discuss these interventions.
- Community resources: The student will identify community resources that could be used to assist a person or family in a case vignette in each course.
- Self Care: The student will identify areas of support and self-care that are needed for themselves to professionally assist the clients in specific case vignettes, such as supervision, consultation, personal counseling.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: entry-level jobs in Health and Human Services and a variety of non-profit service organizations working in eligibility, case management, crisis, residential care and substance abuse treatment.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES||30|
|COMP 005||Computer Concepts||4|
|or COMP 130||Intro to Personal Computers|
|ECON 025||Introduction to Economics||3|
|or ECON 040||Principles of Microeconomics|
|or BUS 297||Personal Finance|
|HSRV 101||Group Design and Leadership||4|
|HSRV 102||Drug and Alcohol Treatment||3|
|HSRV 104||Issues in Family Violence||3|
|HSRV 105||Case Management||3|
|HSRV 120||Introduction to Social Welfare||3|
|HSRV 122||Intro of Human Services||3|
|REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE||6|
Select six units of the following courses (no more than four units of any course):
|WEXP 193 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-1st Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 194 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-2nd Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 195 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-3rd Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 196 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-4th Sem||1-4|
Select six units from the following courses:
|ANTH 010||Cultural Anthropology||3|
|HSRV 110||Ethics in Behavioral Science||3|
|PSY 001||General Psychology||3|
|PSY 005||Social Psychology||3|
|PSY 010||Human Sexuality||3|
|PSY 034||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|PSY 133||Personal and Social Growth||3|
|SOC 026||Marriage and Family Life||3|
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Social Sciences Division Chair.