Certificate of Achievement in Fashion Merchandising and Design
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the fields of Fashion Merchandising and Design. Students completing this certificate will acquire entry-level employment skills in Visual Merchandising, Retail Buyer, Retail Management, Fashion Styling, Apparel Manufacturing, Advertising, Event Planning and many other fashion-related fields. Students will acquire skills in identifying clothing sizes, price ranges, and style classification for women, men and children.
- Apply elements and principles of design to the development, production, selection, and evaluation of apparel and other textile products.
- Evaluate different fabrics and fibers with respect to their application or end use.
- Identify and appraise a variety of career paths within the fashion world.
- Apply interpersonal and communication skills to solve problems or create solutions within the apparel industry.
- Evaluate multiple factors important to the apparel industry (i.e. Materials, design, quality standards, production methods, profitability, end use, and consumer expectations) to make manufacturing and marketing decisions.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: retail supervisor, buyer or sales representative, store manager, visual manager, retail fashion coordinator, fashion stylist, and display specialist.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES||21|
|ART 006||Color and Design||3|
|FASH 140||Intro to the Fashion Industry||3|
|FASH 141||Intro to Fashion Culture||3|
|FASH 143||Intro to Fashion Careers||3|
|FASH 160||Beginning Clothing Const.||3|
|WEXP 193 Z||Fashion Wrk Exp-1st Sem||3|
Select twelve units from the following courses:
|FASH 139||Fashion Sales and Promotion||3|
|FASH 142||Fashion Visual Design||3|
|FASH 146||Intro to Retail Management||3|
|FASH 161||Intermed Clothing Construction||3|
|FASH 162||Advanced Clothing Construction||3|
|FASH 262||Fashion Lab||0.5|
|FASH 263||Basic Sewing||3|
|FASH 264||Fashion in Southern California||1|
|FASH 271||Fashion Show Production||2|
|BUS 100||Career Strategies||3-4|
|or BUS 112||Public Speaking for Business|
|or COMM 112||Public Speaking for Business|
|or BUS 174||Marketing Principles|
|or BUS 181||Intro to Entrepreneurship|
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Consumer Family Studies Division Chair.