Certificate of Achievement in Fashion Merchandising and Design
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the fields of Fashion Merchandising and Design. Students completing this certificate will acquire entry-level employment skills in Visual Merchandising, Retail Buyer, Retail Management, Fashion Styling, Apparel Manufacturing, Advertising, Event Planning and many other fashion-related fields. Students will acquire skills in identifying clothing sizes, price ranges, and style classification for women, men and children.
- Apply elements and principles of design to the development, production, selection, and evaluation of apparel and other textile products.
- Evaluate different fabrics and fibers with respect to their application or end use.
- Identify and appraise a variety of career paths within the fashion world.
- Apply interpersonal and communication skills to solve problems or create solutions within the apparel industry.
- Evaluate multiple factors important to the apparel industry (i.e. Materials, design, quality standards, production methods, profitability, end use, and consumer expectations) to make manufacturing and marketing decisions.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: retail supervisor, buyer or sales representative, store manager, visual manager, retail fashion coordinator, fashion stylist, display specialist, sewing and designing.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES||19|
|ART 006||Color and Design||3|
|FASH 076||Introduction to Textiles and Apparel||3|
|FASH 140||Intro to the Fashion Industry||3|
|FASH 141||Introduction to Fashion Culture, Dress, and Theory||3|
|FASH 143||Introduction to Fashion Careers||3|
|FASH 160||Beginning Sewing||3|
|WEXP 193Z||Fashion Work Experience – First Semester||1|
Select twelve units from the following courses:
|FASH 139||Fashion Sales and Promotion||3|
|FASH 142||Fashion Visual Design||3|
|FASH 146||Introduction to Retail Management||3|
|FASH 161||Intermediate Sewing||3|
|FASH 162||Advanced Clothing Construction||3|
|FASH 165||Fashion Illustration and Business Creation||3|
|FASH 264||Fashion in Southern California||1|
|FASH 271||Fashion Show Production: Beginning||2|
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Consumer Family Studies Division Chair.