Advanced Placement - LVN to RN Program
- LVN’s requesting “30 unit option” must meet with the Nursing Director prior to application.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED equivalency.
- 2.5 or higher GPA on combined Biology prerequisite courses and an overall GPA of 2.5.
- A minimum grade of “C” in all prerequisite courses. Please be advised that “C” grades in all prerequisite courses do not meet the 2.5 minimum GPA requirement.
- No more than one repetition of any biology course. Ws count as a repeat.
Note: You must have the following upon admission into the COS RN Program:
- Current, valid California LVN License
- Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR card
- Health Clearance (Immunizations, TB Skin Test and Physical Exam)
- Current California Driver's License Current California automobile insurance and use of an automobile
- Recommended: Completion of an LVN Transition course with a “C” or better-or-if no LVN Transition course completion of COS LVN Transition Study Module (required)
- Validation of skills competency before starting NURS 134
Local area hospitals will require background checks and urine drug screen prior to clinical placement.
Upon successful completion of the RN Program, the California Board of Registered Nursing requires students to complete application paperwork and fingerprint screening in order to take the State NCLEX-RN licensure exam. If you have ever been convicted of offenses, other than traffic violations, it is recommended that you contact the Director of the RN Program for advising or the BRN for further information (916) 322-3350 or www.rn.ca.gov
- Complete and return the LVN to RN application before the deadline. There are TWO application deadlines. The deadline for applying for the Fall class is February 1st and the deadline for applying for the Spring class is July 15th. Admission to the RN program is on a seat available basis. Indicate the LVN to RN option you prefer (I, II, III).
- Request two (2) official (sealed) transcripts from every college, university, or post-high school program you have attended, including College of the Sequoias. If you did not graduate from high school but took a GED exam, have (2) official (sealed) copies of your scores sent to the College AND request official (sealed) transcripts from every college, university, or post-high school program you have attended (including College of the Sequoias). All transcripts must be received by the deadline of February 1st for Fall class and July 15th for Spring class.
- Complete TEAS exam with 62 percent or higher PRIOR to applying.
- Submit one copy of TEAS Individual Performance Profile. Note: Submit one copy of TEAS Transfer Receipt from ATITESTING.com if TEAS exam is taken somewhere other than COS.
Timeline Information for LVN to RN Applicants
- Application Deadline: February 1st
- Transcript Deadline: February 1st
- Date of Notification: April 1st
- Semester begins: August
- Application Deadline: July 15th
- Transcript Deadline: July 15th
- Date of Notification: October 1st
- Semester begins: January
Advanced Placement students who are not LVNs should begin the process by meeting with the Nursing Counselor.
Note: Nursing courses and requirements-taken with approval from the Nursing Director
Validation of Skills Competency before entering NURS 134