Associate of Arts in Dance (AA)
This degree prepares students for entry-level employment and/or potential further study in the field of Dance through the study of ballet, modern, jazz, current dance trends, musical theatre and choreography. Students will acquire skills in teaching, skill analysis, terminology, presentation, flexibility, strength and endurance.
- Choreograph dance combinations using specified lines, design, technique and/or vocabulary.
- Develop and increase competency in a specific dance form as well as assess and analyze commonalities and differences with other dance forms.
- Apply aesthetic principles and critical thinking skills in the creation, performance and analysis of dance.
- Evaluate theatrical forms of dance in a socio-historical context as an artistic, political or ideological medium of communication.
Upon successful completion of this degree, students will be prepared for careers or employment in the following fields: private dance studios, recreation programs, after school programs, dance drill/auxiliary teams, fitness gyms, cheerleading, entertainment parks, or with semiprofessional or professional theater or dance companies.
This degree is not designed for transfer; however, the courses included in this degree may be transferable and apply to other degrees designed for transfer.
|GENERAL EDUCATION AND SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS||25|
College of the Sequoias' Associate Degree General Education (COS-GE) *
|REQUIRED MAJOR COURSES||15|
|ART 001||Art Appreciation *||3|
|DANC 050||Ballet 1||1|
|DANC 051||Ballet 2||1|
|DANC 055||Modern Dance 2||1|
|DANC 056||Contemporary Dance||1|
|DANC 058||Jazz Dance 1||1|
|DANC 059||Jazz Dance 2||1|
|DANC 082||Contemporary Dance 2||1|
|DANC 085||Dance Production 1||1|
|MUS 010||Music Appreciation||3|
Select six units from the following courses:
|DANC 041||Musical Theatre Perf-Dance||2|
|DANC 054||Modern Dance 1||1|
|DANC 061||Musical Dance Styles||1|
|DANC 062||Tap Dancing 1||1|
|DANC 063||Tap Dancing 2||1|
|DANC 070||Hip Hop||1|
|DANC 071||Dance Crew||1|
|DANC 081||Studies in Choreography||1|
|PEAC 060||Varsity Performance 1||2|
|PEAC 061||Varsity Performance 2||2|
Select additional degree applicable courses numbered 1-299 to achieve 60 units
Courses meet General Education requirements and 3 units may double count above in COS-GE.
The Associate Degree requirements include completion of the:
- Required major courses and restricted elective courses with a "C" or better grade in each course (required and restricted elective courses may be substituted with the approval of the Division Chair),
- General Education requirements,
- Subject requirements including PE, Health & Wellness, and American Institutions, and
- A minimum of 60 units of degree applicable courses numbered 1-299, at least 12 of which must be taken in residence at College of the Sequoias, with a "C" (2.0) average (see Associate Degree Requirements for additional details).