Associate of Science in Animal Science (AS)
This degree prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Animal Science through the study of animal health and production and will acquire skills in livestock husbandry, including livestock evaluation and handling, nutrition, production management and veterinary care.
- Demonstrate knowledge, practical skills and abilities in animal health, ethology, housing and environment, food products, genetics, nutrition, and reproduction to successfully work in the animal agriculture industry.
- Identify and operate equipment and technology commonly used in the animal agriculture industry.
- Communicate professionally both in oral and written formats demonstrating sound knowledge of the animal agriculture industry in that communication.
- Describe and develop the necessary skills and requirements for pursuing careers in animal agriculture industry.
- Ability to organize, interpret, and communicate relevant data utilizing scientific methodology and critical thinking.
Upon successful completion of this degree, students will be prepared for careers or employment in the following fields: livestock operator, meat inspector/grader, feed salesman, pharmaceutical sales, livestock service and support staff, barn/ranch manager, livestock procurement.
This degree is not designed for transfer; however, the courses included in this degree may be transferable and apply to other degrees designed for transfer.
|GENERAL EDUCATION AND SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS||25|
College of the Sequoias' Associate Degree General Education (COS-GE)
|REQUIRED MAJOR COURSES||21|
|AGMT 103||Intro to Agriculture Business||3|
|AGMT 108||AG Business Computer Apps||3|
|ASCI 001||Intro to Animal Science||3|
|ASCI 002||Livestock Selection/Evaluation||3|
|ASCI 103||Livestock Feeding & Nutrition||3|
|ASCI 104||Animal Diseases & Sanitation||3|
|WEXP 193 F||Agriculture Wrk Exp-1st Sem||3|
Select three of the following courses:
|ASCI 022||Horse Husbandry||3|
|ASCI 110||Swine Science||3|
|ASCI 111||Beef Cattle Science||3|
|ASCI 112||Small Ruminant Science||3|
|ASCI 113||Farm Animal Biology||3|
|ASCI 123||Horse Production||3|
|ASCI 126||Meat Science||3|
|ASCI 202||Applied Food Safety Mgmt||3|
|ASCI 224||Livestock Merchandising||2|
|DSCI 101||Introduction to Dairy Science||3|
Select additional degree applicable courses numbered 1-299 to achieve 60 units.
The Associate Degree requirements include completion of the:
- Required major courses and restricted elective courses with a "C" or better grade in each course (required and restricted elective courses may be substituted with the approval of the Division Chair),
- General Education requirements,
- Subject requirements including PE, Health & Wellness, and American Institutions,
- A minimum of 60 units of degree applicable courses numbered 1-299, at least 12 of which must be taken in residence at College of the Sequoias, with a "C" (2.0) average (see Associate Degree Requirements for additional details).