Skill Certificate in Pharmacy Technician
Students completing this certificate will acquire skills in refilling prescriptions, maintaining proper storage and security conditions for drugs, assisting customers, cleaning and maintaining equipment and work areas, and entering inventory data into a computer.
- Demonstrate cognitive, social, and motor skills, including basic understanding of the sciences, relevant to the role of the pharmacy technician in a variety of practice settings.
- Perform math calculations essential to the duties of a pharmacy technician.
- Produce accurate patient-specific and non-patient specific medications, including non-sterile and sterile compounding, repackaging and kit preparation.
- Apply patient and medication safety practices in all aspects of the pharmacy technician role.
- Demonstrate ethical conduct and cognitive skills relevant to legal and regulatory requirements and professional standards in all aspects of the pharmacy technician role.
- Demonstrate cognitive and motor skills in the use of basic pharmacy equipment and accurately weigh, measure, and compound ingredients.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following jobs: health and personal care store worker, outpatient care, grocery store pharmacy worker, and employment in government sectors.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES|
|PT 210||Intro to Pharmacy Systems||1|
|PT 211||Pharmacology for Pharm Techs||3|
|PT 212||Pharm Tech Practice 1||1|
|PT 220||Pharm Tech Practice 2||2|
|PT 221||Professionalism for Pharm Tech||1|
|PT 222||Pharm Tech Externship||2|
At the completion of the program, the student will be required to obtain a pharmacy technician license for employment. Requirements to obtain the license are completion of the program, a fee, pass a criminal background check, and a Live Scan fingerprint clearance.
The Skill Certificate requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Nursing and Allied Health Division Chair.