Certificate of Achievement in Human Services (Social Work)
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Human Services (Social Work). Students completing this certificate will acquire skills in critical thinking, case planning, crisis intervention, theory-based assessment, working knowledge of community resources and hands-on work experience in a human services agency in the community.
- Analyze a person or family in a case vignette and come up with the key issues that are impacting the case.
- Identify any legal and ethical issues in providing services to a case vignette.
- Discuss planned interventions to assist the person or family in a case vignette.
- Use knowledge of community resources to “treat” issues in a case vignette.
- Identify ways to manage the student’s own issues that result from providing services to a case vignette, such as supervision, consultation and setting limits.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: entry-level jobs in Health and Human Services and a variety of non-profit service organizations working in eligibility, case management, crisis, residential care and substance abuse treatment.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES||24|
|COMP 005||Computer Concepts||4|
|or COMP 130||Intro to Personal Computers|
|ECON 025||Introduction to Economics||3|
|or ECON 040||Principles of Microeconomics|
|or BUS 297||Personal Finance|
|HSRV 101||Group Design and Leadership||4|
|HSRV 102||Drug and Alcohol Treatment||3|
|HSRV 120||Intro to Social Welfare||3|
|HSRV 122||Intro of Human Services||3|
|REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE||6|
Select six units of the following courses (no more than four units of any course):
|WEXP 193 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-1st Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 194 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-2nd Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 195 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-3rd Sem||1-4|
|WEXP 196 H||Human Services Wrk Exp-4th Sem||1-4|
Select six units from the following courses:
|HSRV 104||Issues in Family Violence||3|
|ANTH 010||Cultural Anthropology||3|
|PSY 005||Social Psychology||3|
|PSY 010||Human Sexuality||3|
|PSY 034||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|PSY 133||Personal and Social Growth||3|
|SOC 026||Marriage and Family Life||3|
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Social Sciences Division Chair.