Certificate of Achievement in Fashion Merchandising
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Fashion Merchandising. Students completing this certificate will acquire the ability to identify clothing sizes, price ranges, style classification for womenswear, menswear and childrenswear. Students will learn the sequence of garment production and distribution to retail stores at an advanced level. They will learn factors that influcence fashion forecasting and identify target markets for current fashion trends.
- Identify and appraise a variety of career paths within the fashion world.
- Identify and apply visual merchandising principles, tools and methods to create an effective visual store layout.
- Apply elements and principles of design to the development, production, selection, and evaluation of apparel and other textile products.
- Evaluate different fabrics and fibers with respect to their application and end use.
- Apply interpersonal and communication skills to solve problems or create solutions within the apparel industry.
- Evaluate multiple factors important to the industry (i.e., materials, design, quality standards, production methods, probability, end use, and consumer expectations) to make manufacturing and marketing decisions.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: retail supervisor, buyer or sales representative, store manager, visual manager, retail fashion coordinator, fashion stylist, and display specialist.
|Required Certificate Courses (21 Units)||21|
|Color and Design|
|Intro to the Fashion Industry|
|Principles of Fashion|
|Visual Merchandising and Sales|
|Fashion Wrk Exp-1st Sem|
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Consumer Family Studies Division Chair.