Certificate of Achievement in Cosmetology
This certificate prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Cosmetology. Students completing this certificate will acquire skills, knowledge, and abilities in shampooing, tinting, bleaching, cutting, styling hair, manicures, scalp and facial treatments, makeup analysis, and eyebrow shaping. In addition to practical experience students also learn anatomy, physiology, chemical composition of skin and nails, and disorders and diseases of the skin, scalp, and hair.
Be prepared to take the licensing exam administered by the Department of Consumer Affairs Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following fields: Cosmetologist, Beautician, Beauty Shop Owner, Electrologist, and Manicurist. Passing the State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology Licensing Exam is required. The certificate requires 1600 hours to complete.
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES|
|COSM 261||Basic Cosmetology||6-15|
|COSM 262||Intermediate Cosmetology||6-15|
|COSM 263||Cosmetology Theory & Practice||6-15|
|COSM 264||Cosmetology License Exam Prep||6-15|
Students must complete a minimum of 140 hours per semester in order to receive six (6) units of credit. Additional hours attended will result in additional units based on 52.5 equals one (1) unit. Students may attend a maximum of four (4) semesters which would include COSM 261, COSM 262, COSM 263, and COSM 264. The maximum number of hours a student may attend is 1,600 or four (4) semesters, whichever is less.
- Minimum 140 hours = Six (6) units of credit.
- Minimum 192.5 hours = Seven (7) units of credit
- Minimum 245 hours = Eight (8) units of credit
- Minimum 297.5 hours = Nine (9) units of credit
- Minimum 350 hours = Ten (10) units of credit
- Minimum 402.5 hours = Eleven (11) units of credit
- Minimum 455 hours = Twelve (12) units of credit
- Minimum 507.5 hours = Thirteen (13) units of credit
- Minimum 560 hours - Fourteen (14) units of credit
- Minimum 612.5 hours - Fifteen (15) units of credit
The Certificate of Achievement requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a "C" or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Special Programs-Cosmetology Division Chair.