Skill Certificate in Automotive Emissions Technology
Students completing this certificate will acquire skills and knowledge required by the State of California, Bureau of Automotive Repair in preparation for the automotive technician’s emissions examination for technician licensing. This certificate is required by the Bureau of Automotive Repair for all students who wish to take and pass the state emissions exam to become a licensed smog check technician.
- Use the proper automotive terminology to discuss systems operation, methods of diagnosis and needed repairs.
- Prepare a written estimate of needed system repairs and estimate the related costs.
- Practice safety in the repair and service associated with electrical, hydraulic and mechanical systems.
- Demonstrate abilities to describe construction components and apply necessary skills for their respective approach to select the proper method to diagnose, repair and test automotive systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of automotive diagnostic equipment to evaluate system performance and determine needed repairs.
Entry-level employment opportunities include, but are not limited to, automotive emissions equipment testing, emissions equipment repairs, or emissions equipment testing and repairing. A separate state license is required for each.
Prerequisites for this certificate are the basic Automotive Technology Certificate, or at a minimum 14 semester units from AUTO 130, AUTO 136, and AUTO 238 courses including engine electrical systems, fuel systems, emissions and engine performance areas.
|Required Certificate Courses (11 Units)||11|
|Auto Adv. Computer Controls|
|Emissions & Diagnostics Lvl 1|
|Emissions & Diagnostics Lvl 2|
The Skill Certificate requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Industry & Technology Division Chair.