Skill Certificate in Automotive Brake Systems
Students completing this certificate will acquire skills and knowledge required to perform the service and repair of automotive brake systems. Upon program completion, it is expected the student will develop employment entry level knowledge and skills necessary for the proper maintenance and repair of automotive braking systems.
- Use the proper automotive terminology to discuss systems operation, methods of diagnosis and needed repairs.
- Prepare a written estimate of needed system repairs and estimate the related costs.
- Practice safety in the repair and service associated with electrical, hydraulic and mechanical systems.
- Demonstrate abilities to describe construction components and apply necessary skills for their respective approach to select the proper method to diagnose, repair and test automotive systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of automotive diagnostic equipment to evaluate system performance and determine needed repairs.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared for employment in the following jobs: automotive brake systems diagnosis and repair, servicing and replacing worn and defective brake components and maintaining automotive brake systems for safe operation. This certificate is designed to meet national certification and training standards (NATEF) for automotive service excellence (ASE) testing and certification category (A5).
|REQUIRED CERTIFICATE COURSES|
|AUTO 130||Intro to Automotive Technology||3|
|AUTO 136||Automotive Electrical Systems||4|
|AUTO 235||Automotive Brake Systems||4|
The Skill Certificate requirements include completion of the certificate courses with a “C” or better grade in each course. Required and support courses may be substituted with the approval of the Industry & Technology Division Chair.